Monday, July 6, 2009

The future.. My future




I want to finish school and become a nurse. After that I want to spend about 2 more years learning about medicine and working with patients. And then my hope is to spend the rest of my life wandering this lovely planet and doing some pro-bono work. In particular my dream is to spend few years in Africa, learning about the culture, the languages and most importantly giving medical help to those in need. I truly believe I was brought to this Earth to help others in any way I can. It’s what I love doing. Being able to bring a smile to a sick child’s face or give medicine to those who otherwise wouldn’t make it without it, it makes me happy. It’s such a great feeling knowing that you did something to make others feel good or even happy.

I have to admit I didn’t always know what I wanted to be when I grow up. When I was living in Bosnia my opportunities were very limited. The country had just been through hell during the war. Many schools were destroyed and so were many people’s lives.
But perhaps, that is the reason why I want to become who I want to become. In spite of everything bad that happened in that special little country, one thing remained throughout all the horror, and that’s good spirit of people. It’s hard to explain exactly how it felt, being surrounded with so much evil and destruction and yet feel so much love. Yes, I said love. Complete strangers, really.

In the hospital, being there for months at a time without being able to see my family, without knowing if they were even alive, is horrifying for any kid. No child should ever have to go through something like that. And yet as I write this, hundreds of children are going through similar situations throughout our world.
But it was the nurses and doctors and volunteers that got me through those months. It was their love and care. And I will forever be grateful to each and every one of them.
Now it’s my time to pay it forward.

I’m a simple girl and I want to lead a simple life. I want to be happy, more than I want that house with a picket fence, or to become rich. It’s not my main goal in life. Get married, settle down and make babies.. don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with that, I just don’t think its for me. Heh but hey if I learned anything from my past it would be that the future is constantly changing. The future is the home of our deepest fears and wildest hopes. But one thing is certain when it finally reveals itself.

The future is never the way we imagined it.

No comments:

Post a Comment